Thursday 5 March 2015

Amazing Abseiling by Esther


It was Tuesday just after we did the biking, when Miles went for a swim.

 

 That morning, group 5 were all buzzing with excitement to do the abseil. When Steven, our instructor, came in, it took a while for us all to quieten down. Having finally decided to listen, he told us to meet him in the back yard in 6000 seconds (10 minutes). To no-one's surprise, Aneirin (or as Steven (our instructor) to remember his name called him an iron) wasn't there. Yash went up to get him and we went into the store room to get on our equipment.

 

There were all sorts of things to get and learn and we hadn't even started.  I was already having fun.   After we had been arranged into height order, we were given our harnesses, a helmet and a carabiner.  The two people who helped taught us how to open the carabiner.  We then had races to see who could open the carabiner and clip it on to a strap fastest.  We did it in two groups and I got into the final for my group and had to compete against Rose who  just won.

 

Then off we went with a fifty foot rope with each of us so we had spares.   We first went to the indoor climbing wall for a worm-up.  We chose 15 walls climb to.  It was easy and I was the first to finish. Then we were split into 2 groups of 3 and 1 group of 4 and did some climbing.   Yash went first then Aneirin then me.  I belayed first and I also belayed for Yash then I climbed we moved on to the next wall which had an over hang.   I went first and I was only allowed to use one colour of hand and footholds whilst the others used a rainbow of colours.

 

On the bus to the outside wall, I sat at the back.   It ways really bumpy.

 

At the wall, we where asked who felt confident.  I along with Daniel R, Yash and Ruaridh said yes, not realising that I would end up first to do the abseil whilst the rest of the group did a nice, easy confidence building climb.   Daniel R at the top and when he was going to go first started screaming "IT'S  TO HIGH, I WANT MY MUMMY!!!!!!!!"  for a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment