Thursday 5 March 2015

Cool Climbing by Stephen

Ahh, what a wonderful day at Benmore. Me and my group loved abseiling.

But before I go into detail about abseiling I'll tell you how we got there.

So first we woke up on Thursday morning, had a shower and all the usual

stuff then we went down for breakfast. And as usual it was delicious. We

eventually went to meet our instructor Jo and he said that we'd be doing

climbing and abseiling. We were always relatively excited about the activity

but we were especially excited today. Jo also instructed us to wear warm and

old clothes because the clothes would get ripped

😆 . So me and Matthew

rushed back to the Dorm and changed into the correct clothing. Then we

rushed down stairs again and regrouped.

Before we went on the quarry, we had to practice climbing and abseiling on

the indoor climbing wall. But before we started we all checked out our

harnesses and helmets. Then set off while Mrs French took photos. First we

practised traversing around the wall then we did a mini abseil indoors.

When we arrived at the top of the cliff we were all really nervous but

extremely excited as well.

Just before you go you have to get you rope tied to you and then you step

trough the salty gate and onto the edge of the cliff. To be honest it wasn't that

scary, the scariest thing was the start.

Jumping of a 80 foot cliff goes against ever human nature. As I lowered

myself down I pretended to be James Bond zip lining into a master criminals

HQ.

When I reached the bottom, I felt really proud and happy because I've never

done abseiling on such a big scale and I loved it.

While the others were coming down the cliff, me and Matthew threw stones at

our cups once we'd finished drinking juice out of them. I was pretty bad at it

until I adopted a new tactic pray and spray. Basically it was cheating but it

worked fine

😎 .

After a while of stone throwing we walked back to the centre for lunch. And

the lunchtime banter was all about our amazing morning abseiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment